Holiday Hours Emerson Country Stores & Coffee Bar Closed Thanksgiving Read More
The Catskill Mountains and the Hudson Valley are home to a wealth of activities and events. From the great outdoors, art and music to shopping – we have it all! As our guest, you’ll receive a list of local activities and events daily during your stay. Our Concierge is happy to assist you with scheduling the adventure of your choice and of course our Reservations Department can help you customize your stay prior to arrival.
On-site Adventures at The Emerson
- Rent skis or snowshoes at our Ski Shop and venture out on our Cross Country Ski Trail! The area charge is complimentary to overnight guests.
- Enjoy the winter wonders of Belleayre Mountain. Just minutes west of the Emerson, Belleayre Mountain offers winter sports such as skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing; and summer sports such as hiking, mountain biking and swimming. Belleayre also offers a breathtaking Sky Ride to the summit of the mountain on select summer weekends and holidays. Nearby Hunter Mountain features winter sports and the highest zip line canopy tour in North America.
- Have fun on our 1.2 mile cross country ski trail! Open Daily from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (depending on snow level). Not an Emerson guest? No problem! Our trail is open to all visitors looking for a winter adventure!Grab your ski or snowshoe rentals at our Ski Shop in the Country Store and venture out on our 1.2 mile cross country trail! Upon your return, relax by our outdoor firepit with a cup of hot chocolate from the Country Store Cafe. Sound like this is only for Emerson guests? No way! The trail is open to all visitors looking for fun in our winter playground. We’ll see you on the trail!
Cross Country Ski Trail Hours:
- Open Daily(depending on snow level) from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Rates: $10 area charge / $20 rental ski boots and poles or snow shoes.Please Note: New York statutory law (general obligation law 9-103) gives relief to property owners from liability for recreational activities like cross country skiing. Ski at your own risk.
Arts & Culture
- It’s no secret that our neck of the woods is a haven for artists. The Arts Upstairs, located just 5 minutes away in Phoenicia, is home to a myriad of art mediums with exhibits changing monthly. Stop by to gaze, learn about art in the Catskills, and maybe take a piece or two home!
- Late summer heralds the Phoenicia International Festival of the Voice. From opera to gospel, world music to Broadway, the Festival celebrates the human voice in all its multi-faceted glory.
- Pay a call to Mt. Tremper’s Zen Mountain Monastery.
- On your way to Woodstock, stop by the Elena Zang Gallery. The gallery hosts contemporary fine art by regional and internationally known artists, outdoor sculptures, pottery and an outdoor pottery studio.
- Visit New York’s first capital, Kingston, established in 1777. Here you can see the original Senate House and Museum, explore historic structures, view gallery exhibits, listen to lectures related to local heritage, and take narrated walking tours of Kingston’s historical districts.
- Tour two of the Hudson Valley’s most famous National Historic sites: Springwood, the lifelong home of Franklin D. Roosevelt; and the Vanderbilt Mansion, the country estate of Frederick Vanderbilt.
- The famed Woodstock Playhouse offers a diverse summer schedule of musical events in their outdoor band shell auditorium.
- Every Saturday in July and August the Belleayre Conservatory produces concerts, opera and other music performances near the top of the Belleayre Ski Center at Highmount.
- The annual Woodstock Film Festival held each Autumn features film premieres, appearances and workshops by notable directors and actors, as well as gala events and concerts.
- Speak to our Front Desk about arranging an “Artists in Their Studios” tour. See and meet local artists in their studios – each studio is located within a 20-minute drive of the Emerson. Pieces by the participating artists are also on display throughout the Emerson.
- Paintings by artist DM Weil are currently on exhibit at the Emerson.
- If you’d like to see more from this celebrated artist, visit the DM Weil Gallery in New Paltz.
Just For Fun
- Be sure to spend time in nearby Phoenicia…a Great Little Town!. Phoenicia was also named one of the USA’s Top Ten Coolest Towns by Budget Travel Magazine.
- Explore the funky eclecticism of Woodstock. For a full list of shops, galleries, restaurants and events, visit the Woodstock Chamber of Commerce and Arts.
- Play a game of volleyball in the Emerson Park. Badminton, horseshoes, a children’s playground and picnic tables make our park the perfect place to spend an afternoon.
- Coming to stay at the Emerson? Download the Route 28 Driving Guide. It is an hour-long audio accompaniment for a westward drive on New York Route 28, from Olive to Andes. Hear about the history, landscape, food, and attractions along the Catskill Mountains Scenic Byway.
To find out more about Hudson Valley current events and activities, please visit these helpful sites:
- Ulster County Chamber of Commerce
A full list of area festivals, events and destinations.
- Ulster County Tourism
Find out what makes Ulster County Alive!
- Visit Vortex
Watch videos and slideshows about Hudson Valley events, businesses and culture.
- Catskill High Peaks
A local guide for the area surrounding the Belleayre Ski Center.
- The Community Guide.net
Local online resource for activities, events, classes, dining and much more.
- Catskill Mountain Guide
Arts, leisure and calendar listings for the Catskill Region.
A local monthly publication celebrating arts, culture and spirit.
- Woodstock Chamber of Commerce and Arts
A look at events in the area’s most famous town.
The Emerson does not guarantee availability for the activities listed on this page. Hours of operation and rates are subject to change.